Blocktype - Decor Stamp | Iron Orchid Designs
Have fun adding texture to your projects with these Iron Orchid Designs Decor Stamp – Blocktype.
PREPARATION IS KEY
- Before removing from the backing, condition your stamps with very fine sandpaper, scuff the surface in two directions. This helps the mediums stay put, and not bead (which some types, like ceramics glazes, tend to do).
- Remove stamps from backing when ready to use. This takes some force, but don’t worry, the stamps are strong.
DIFFERENT MOUNTS FOR DIFFERENT SURFACES.
- Large mounting block. This is recommended for surfaces that are perfectly flat, for example, if you are doing fabric on a perfectly flat work surface.
- Freestyle stamping. This is what we call it when you use a flexible piece of plastic, such as the clear sheet that came with the stamps, as a mounting device. Simply position the stamp on the sheet and proceed. This is great for irregular surfaces such as walls or furniture (surprisingly, many furniture surfaces that appear flat have dips- this method will conform nicely).
- No mount. This is when you would use the stamp without mounting to anything because you want it to really conform to a curved surface, or even stretch. For example, a stamped front of cowboy boots the stamp was able to be stretched to conform it cleanly to the surface even though the boot is very curved. When using the bare stamp make sure that your fingers don’t stick to it, this could cause the stamp to lift from the surface and create a smudge. Nobody likes an unintentional smudge.
- Whichever mounting method you use, the stamp backs must be perfectly clean, as well as the mount, in order for the stamp to cling firmly to the mount.
- Paint: Paint works wonderfully with the Décor Stamps. When using paint we recommend creating a small puddle to roll a small dense foam roller in. Make sure you get an even load and roll onto the design side of the mounted (or if using unmounted, proceed accordingly) stamp. This part takes a little practice to get the feel of the load so that it’s enough to give you the impression you want without being sloppy. Also keep in mind variables such as the surface you are stamping, the medium you are using, as well as the look you are trying to achieve. Practice makes perfect!
- Ink: Our Décor ink and most other inks work fabulously with the Décor Stamps as well. Ink gives finer detail and tends to be a little more translucent than paint, keep this in mind in consideration to your project. We find that we like using paint and ink equally, and they lend themselves well to different projects and surfaces. We recommend using the blank stamp pads to apply the ink (one for each colour), then pat the surface of the stamp with it.
SURFACES AND APPLICATIONS
- Fabric: When stamping fabric a load of the medium should be generous in order to penetrate the fibres, and the look will be different with different levels of fabric texture. Décor ink, Chalk paint and other fabric suitable mediums work well. It is our opinion that the ideal fabric for permanent washables is 100 per cent cotton. However, blends and some other natural fibres can sometimes work as well. Do a small test to be sure. Allow your newly stamped fabric to dry/cure for a minimum of 24 hours, then heat set with an iron on high heat before washing.
- Furniture: Both painted and stained furniture can be stamped. In fact, this is one of the most common uses of our Décor Stamps. You can use ink or paint, but I tend to use paint more for furniture.
- Walls: Walls are a fabulous surface opportunity for Décor Stamps. Create all over patterns that are a level up from wallpaper, and completely custom, or use the décor stamps to create an old-world border. We love using paint for wall applications!
CARING FOR YOUR STAMPS
We find that the easiest way to care for and clean stamps are to keep wet wipes nearby and avoid letting the medium dry all the way on the stamp surface. Then, when you have time, wash them with mild soap and warm water. For some mediums, you may find that you need a stamp cleaner. Use one that is safe for clear stamps. After thoroughly cleaned, place them back on the clear backing for storage
Measurement: Each set is 12″ x 12″
**Includes Blocktype Decor Stamps